cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16% TOTAL FEES. CRAZY. I AM DONE

KEPT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY WERE BILLING ME FOR SO MUCH MONEY UNTIL I TALKED TO THEM. EBAY IS FLEECING ALL OF US SELLERS EXCEPT THE BUYERS. AT 16% TO SELL AN ITEM IS CRAZY. WE NEED SOME COMPETITION FOR EBAY. COME ON RICH PEOPLE STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND OPEN UP AN AUCTION SITE. YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU. I AM DONE WITH EBAY WHEN IT COMES TO SELLING. IN THESE DIFFICULT ECONOMIC TIMES EBAY IS NOT HELPING AT ALL. JUST PLAIN PATHETIC.

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

10% FOR FINAL SALES FEE, PAYPAL FEES. FIGURE IT UP FOLKS. ITS SHOCKING

Message 2 of 62
latest reply

I'm not all that shocked.  But then again, I research all the costs involved before I list my items so I can price them accordingly and make a nice profit.  Thats pretty much Business 101.

I actually think ebay fees are reasonable.

Message 3 of 62
latest reply

WAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Message 4 of 62
latest reply

I've been telling y'all that... 16%

And if you are offering Free Shipping, you add shipping costs and you will be more depressed.

Quick arithmetic...

If I buy a guitar for $500 and clean-it-up and put new strings and such on it...

If I sell that guitar for $750 with Free Ship, after FVF and shipping...

I have lost money.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 5 of 62
latest reply

OMA nailed it.  Not every product will work on ebay.  He would have to sell that guitar for at least  $1000 to make it worth his while. 

I guess I'm astounded by people like the OP who don't find out FIRST about the fees.  It's so critical to the bottom line.  To me, it's like buying a house, signing all the papers and then asking about the price.  Then when it's too much for you to afford you go around screaming that you got ripped off. 

Sorry, I don't get it. 

Message 6 of 62
latest reply

When in doubt, use a fee calculator to figure it out.> https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=ebay+fees+calculator&oq=...

This is the one I use.> http://www.rolbecalc.com/

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 7 of 62
latest reply

Lori...how much did you win on that game?

I have an item on my watch list that needs to be purchased to/from a sweet, sexy, BIG WINNER!...;-)

Message 8 of 62
latest reply

Basic selling rule is to know what an item will bring on ebay before you even buy it to resell. 

Ebay / Paypal both tell you exactly what they charge upfront, so there is no reason to be surprised by the cost of doing business on ebay. 

Its the sellers job to know what an item will bring and then know how much they can pay for the item in order to resell it and cover all the costs plus leave them holding a tidy profit.  If you can't understand the basic rule of knowing what an item will sell for before buying it, you have no business trying to sell on ebay.  Its not ebays fault that a seller doesn't make what they want on an item, its the sellers fault for not doing their homework. 

I know within a buck or two exactly what my item will bring before I buy them to sell,  I know what its going to cost me to ship the items and pay all the fees ahead of time. Surprises to me are when an item sells for more than I calculate the selling price for.

Message 9 of 62
latest reply

Ebay / Paypal both tell you exactly what they charge upfront, so there is no reason to be surprised by the cost of doing business on ebay

Worth repeating.  

Amazing how many threads like this there have been in the two years I've been reading the boards.

Who goes into business without researching the costs?

I guess we can blame the eBay commercials showing people taking pictures of items with their smart phones, listing them and raking in the dough.  They need one of those fast-talking disclaimers at the end like the pharmaceutical ones.

smiley candle photo: candle candlef.gifFounding member of the Pack of Disgruntled Failures.
Message 10 of 62
latest reply

Yeah, Yeah... Quit being a bunch of sycophants sucking-up to the eBoss X-(

The OP has been a member since 1999!

So I am sure that this person has read the fine print.

I am also sure that the OP remembers when eBay (not evilBay) didn't charge that much.

When I first started 2006 eBay only took about 6%.

Yeah, they charged you to list and FVF's differed by category.

But they still charged you less.

So noobs telling a 14-year member to read the agreement is kinda presumptuous of y'all... Don't you think? ;\

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 11 of 62
latest reply

Not when the OP is shocked by the fees. 

10% FOR FINAL SALES FEE, PAYPAL FEES. FIGURE IT UP FOLKS. ITS SHOCKING

smiley candle photo: candle candlef.gifFounding member of the Pack of Disgruntled Failures.
Message 12 of 62
latest reply

I am also sure that the OP remembers when eBay (not evilBay) didn't charge that much.

So noobs telling a 14-year member to read the agreement is kinda presumptuous of y'all... Don't you think? ;\

I don't think these folks are either sycophants or being presumptuous.

True, the OP has been a member since 1999, but he's also been selling since since 2001...that's a dozen years.  And now, 12 years later, he decides to find out why his fees are what they are?  That's simply ludicrous.  After all, he said, "KEPT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY WERE BILLING ME FOR SO MUCH MONEY UNTIL I TALKED TO THEM."  He obviously didn't read the big print, no less the fine stuff.

Bear with me, here...the OP sold over $5K in January, and that's only from his FB.  Now, my FB runs at about 40%, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say his runs at 50%.  That would give him over $10K in sales.  Pro-rate that out for a year and we're talking over $120,000.  And dealing with that amount of money, the OP is "shocked'?  Frankly, I'd be embarrassed to admit in front of potentially millions of people that I was doing that amount of business and didn't know what my costs were.  Look at his listings...this guy ain't no closet-cleaner-outer, either.

Sorry, OMA...I think you got this one wrong.

The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.

--Peter Drucker
Message 13 of 62
latest reply

Mint- If I find a sweet, sexy person I'll send them your way!:-p  

As for me, I'm not sure how much I won yet.  The ticket doesn't have the odds on it.  But I think it was about 20 to 1 when I purchased the ticket.  I should have a few duckies when I cash it in....now how to get to Vegas?   So, do you have any awesome Broncos stuff?

OMA- For real?

Message 14 of 62
latest reply

Exactly, oma.

Yes, 16% fees are rediculous.

I pay very little-sometimes O for what I sell. Am still emptying out a house. Otherwise I wouldn't be selling here and I never defend ebay's fee structure or policy manifesto, that would be craziness.

One poster says the fees are 'reasonable'?

ookay?:|

Message 15 of 62
latest reply