cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16% TOTAL FEES. CRAZY. I AM DONE

KEPT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY WERE BILLING ME FOR SO MUCH MONEY UNTIL I TALKED TO THEM. EBAY IS FLEECING ALL OF US SELLERS EXCEPT THE BUYERS. AT 16% TO SELL AN ITEM IS CRAZY. WE NEED SOME COMPETITION FOR EBAY. COME ON RICH PEOPLE STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND OPEN UP AN AUCTION SITE. YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU. I AM DONE WITH EBAY WHEN IT COMES TO SELLING. IN THESE DIFFICULT ECONOMIC TIMES EBAY IS NOT HELPING AT ALL. JUST PLAIN PATHETIC.

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: 16% TOTAL FEES. CRAZY. I AM DONE

@x86globalliquidators wrote:
Insane fees! Been selling on eBay for 10 years, the fees just keep going higher and higher.
There used be a cap of $250 max fee, I found out the hard way when ebay billed me $550 for a $4800 sale plus pay pal fees and listing fees, came to $800!!!! How are we suppose to make money??

If you're referring to that thermal imager, it's 4% for  items in that category:

Business & Industrial>Electrical & Test Equipment>Test Equipment>Optical Test Equipment 

I say 4% because I looked at this page for Canadian sellers who do not have a store:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/industrialfees.html

4% of $4800 should be $192, not $550.

Call ebay & tell them to adjust your fees!

Message 31 of 62
latest reply

My advice ,
Forget about ebay and focus on other markets or your own website . it doesn't worth it anymore to give ebay all your profit and some of your shipping cost + paypal fees and + you lose your money and cant even claim it if some crazy buyers decided to claim his cz of "non delivery " even the tracking number says otherwise .
I have just removed all my listings and closed my store . I can't beleive i was stupid enough to give them all this money (store + paypal + listings Fees + closing Fees + shipping Fees + listing item Fees + variation Fees + Bold Fees ......)

BYE EBAY
Message 32 of 62
latest reply

@thedealsfinder

If it shows delivered, was a case opened and did you enter the tracking number in the resolution center?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 33 of 62
latest reply

@tclaw99 wrote:

KEPT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY WERE BILLING ME FOR SO MUCH MONEY UNTIL I TALKED TO THEM. EBAY IS FLEECING ALL OF US SELLERS EXCEPT THE BUYERS. AT 16% TO SELL AN ITEM IS CRAZY. WE NEED SOME COMPETITION FOR EBAY. COME ON RICH PEOPLE STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND OPEN UP AN AUCTION SITE. YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU. I AM DONE WITH EBAY WHEN IT COMES TO SELLING. IN THESE DIFFICULT ECONOMIC TIMES EBAY IS NOT HELPING AT ALL. JUST PLAIN PATHETIC.

I always like to read questions like this and the answers. I really understand Your feeling of such a price increase and How reasonable they Used to be. It takes lots of money to run a corp. like eBay. Just thinking about the technical aspects of it that have changed.  There is not anything associated with computers that are cheap. The quality of the site has gone up also.

The Other main argument is that You get what You pay for.  eBay has more exposure than any other site. I'd rather do all the work at one place and  get some exposure than none. I think good Business Managers probably have their eggs in several  Baskets.

I guess I did not know that the rate was about 16% including everything. I do know that eBay takes about 10% of shipping and handling. Pay Pal takes about 2.9% and .30 for each item. I go to the Calculator and put the numbers in. Someone gave the link below.

Anyway, I am sure You were surprised to find the rule had changed and You were not aware of it. I understand  how hard it is to keep up. There are so many details. I wished it could be simpler....BUT there are so many consumer Laws and regulations to keep up with that eBay is constantly revising. I get nervous sometimes that I am going to miss something. So Sorry! Pam

Message 34 of 62
latest reply

... the last reply to this thread, before your's, was in December of 2014...

if one ever needed proof that turds float, here it is. IF eBay charged

you 16%... it was for services very clearly outlined in their rates.

Listing on eBay is an option, not wanting to pay your fees... not so much.

Message 35 of 62
latest reply

WOW, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS.  EBAY NOT ONLY CHARGES YOU TO SELL AN ITEM, THEY CHARGE YOU 10% ON SHIPPING???????  I HAVE ALREALY LOST MONEY ON SHIPPING AND NOW EBAY WANTS THEIR CUT, FOR WHAT......I LOST MONEY ON THE SHIPPING AND THEN PAYPAL, WHICH IS A PART OF EBAY, CHARGES YOU A FEE.  IT IS REALLY BAD WHEN EBAY IS MAKING MORE MONEY THAN YOU, THE SELLER IS.  SHAME OF THEM, GREED IS ALIVE AND THRIVING WITH OUTRAGOUS FEES AT EBAY.  I AM DONE.................................

Message 36 of 62
latest reply

@playitagainsamresale

PayPal and eBay are no longer together.
Your buyer should be paying for shipping.
If you are losing money on shipping, you need to research the best price or use calculated shipping.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 37 of 62
latest reply

Your fees are outrageous. No more eBay for me.

Message 38 of 62
latest reply

Sick of eBay. Try these alternative places to sell.

https://www.salehoo.com/blog/sick-of-ebay-try-these-alternative-places-to-sell

Message 39 of 62
latest reply

Thanks for the help! Let us know how CraigsListAmazon and Etsy work out for you.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 40 of 62
latest reply

I know this thread was started forever ago, but if a seller is paying any fees, eBay, Etsy, AZ, etc. they're doing something wrong. 

The buyer pays the fees, the cost of the item, the seller markup, the profit, the shipping, so on and so forth.

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 41 of 62
latest reply

Agreed, fees should be going down not up.  It's time to start looking at other less costly alternatives.

Message 42 of 62
latest reply

@tceltics wrote:

Agreed, fees should be going down not up.  It's time to start looking at other less costly alternatives.

If you agree with a complaint about fees that was posted 4 years ago, you should have left a long time ago.

Message 43 of 62
latest reply

I AGREE. I AM A STAY-AT-HOME MOM WHO IS DISABLED AND THE EBAY FEES ARE EATING ME ALIVE. WE SHOULD BOYCOTT THIS. THIS IS ROBBING FROM THE POOR. I AM DONE WITH EBAY FOR NOW.

Message 44 of 62
latest reply

@kayleeisawesome1981 wrote:

I AGREE. I AM A STAY-AT-HOME MOM WHO IS DISABLED AND THE EBAY FEES ARE EATING ME ALIVE. WE SHOULD BOYCOTT THIS. THIS IS ROBBING FROM THE POOR. I AM DONE WITH EBAY FOR NOW.

Let's see:

1) You're selling clothing, the #1 most oversaturated and competitive category on eBay.

2) Most of your items get only one bid and sell for $1 to $5.

3) You charge $3 to $5 for shipping.

If eBay were absolutely free, what would your profit have been for the past three months (289 sales)? Have you considered bundling some of those cheap items into lots? Are you using a PayPal micropayments account for those cheap listings? Have you done anything to adjust to the fee structure that's been in place since 2011?

Message 45 of 62
latest reply