cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS scan failures

What can be done when the USPS fails to scan a package or it is delay for no apparent reason and the buyer reports the package late?

For example, I made a sale on Saturday (2/18/17). I packed the item, printed the label and took the package to the post office on Sunday. Presidents Day was 2/20/17. However, the package was not scanned until 2/22/17. It was not delivered until 2/25/17.

ARRIVAL AT UNIT Feb-25-17, 07:22 AM, LONG BEACH 90803

DEPART USPS FACILITYFeb-23-17, 05:55 AM, COPPELL 75099

PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITYFeb-22-17, 19:52 PM, COPPELL 75099

ORIGIN ACCEPTANCEFeb-22-17, 18:37 PM, MESQUITE 75149

SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEMFeb-19-17, 23:12 PM, MESQUITE 75149

Order Confirmed Feb-19-17, 17:59 PM, MESQUITE 75149

This has happened three times during the rolling 12 months.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

USPS scan failures

Have you tried asking them to scan it for you when you drop it off?

https://bio.link/langs
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

USPS scan failures

DO you have USPS pickup available at your location?  I found it actually works BETTER than driving to the PO and dropping off packages.  

I made a point to meet my carrier, and explained my needs about same-day scanning to him.  He "got it" and has made sure to scan my packages every day.  Also, he makes sure that the subs on my route know to scan my packages as well.  

In the last 15 months, I've had 2-3 missed acceptance scans.  Turns out those were due to a malfunctioning scanner.  Since the packages were delivered on time anyhow, no harm.

Please consider using this free service.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts....
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

USPS scan failures

The problem is this. When you print shipping labels make sure that the post office is open because you need an acceptance scan from them which means you need to wait in line. If you do not do this and just leave them on the counter or put them in the box then they might not get scanned in untill much later down the road, even untill the point of delivery. Also, many people including some if not most po workers do not know that if package is insured that the insurance is invaled untill scaned in. Eg. If some one steals your package off the counter or worse, if a po worker steals it, which happens, then if you have no scan you have no proof that you even mailed it. Also, some post offices are open on some holidays at reduced hours. So just get a scan. If you have tons of packages you can use a scan sheet. If the po worker will not give you a scan then go above their head to the superviser. They are required to do this no matter what Blather they spew out, (like me!) Do not get on a po workers bad side or they can sometimes make your package go missing or worse. Then you will have to use a different po. Good luck and dont forget to get a scan.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

USPS scan failures

well it is just the fact the a monday holiday does throw off the number of packages that USPS deals with on the tuesday following...and yes it happens to you and others...

the ding you worried about is so small that unless you do this a lot then it won't matter...and if you do have these things often-- then yes YOU need a better way to drop off your packages..and/or go there and have them scan then and there.

BUt i know it is not always possible and we rely onUSPS to quickly and accurately get it done...they ususally do, except for holiday issues and a few throw in for no apparent reason..

remeber you did your best and if the buyer received it safe and sound..one or two days after ebay's EXPECTED date,,then don't lose sleep...it's not the end of the world for anyone... 

If you receive a negative feeback, then call ebay CS or ask the buyer to reconsider and nicely show them the tracking...if they are reasonable the'll understand...if not then they are just bleeping bleeps. 

do all you can, and move to the next one...the end

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

USPS scan failures

and I had 3 happen that way back awhile ago.... oh I learned something that time
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

USPS scan failures

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @trainsanddollhouses,

This topic is being discussed here: Performance standard change. There is a lot of information available on that thread that may answer your shipping questions. Check it out and post concerns there if you are still looking for more info.

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
latest reply