cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10% discount is no longer worth jumping through eBay hoops

I see a silver lining. I can change my return policy back to 7 days and go on vacation and not remove my listings, and all I am losing is a 10% discount. It is no longer worth it to jump through eBay's hoops to earn a discount that just got chopped in half.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You got that right!  By the Fall Seller Update that 10% discount will be gone anyhow.  GREED, and in the end, their GREED will be the death of FeeBay

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Me too, NO returns, and just dropping off the packages on the counter and no longer caring if they ever scan it. The bar rose from 90 to 95% to get TRS? Im sitting at 94% because the guy 2 streets over walked to my house and picked up 2 auctions. I'll just write off the fees on taxes and enjoy the freedom to play by my shipping rules. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Fully agreed.  I bust my butt everyday to be responsive, properly pack and ship my items on time - every time.  I do this because I've been incented to do that with a 20% discount on final valuation fees.  Now the discount has been cut in half and I must work even harder to be rewarded less.  Add the recent half percent fee hike at PayPal and this all being timed to coincide with a reduction in shipping discounts across the board (not eBay's fault but still a fact), I'm unsure where eBay believes my motivation will come from.  Is it the smaller paycheck?  No, it must be the harder work.  Oh wait, it's the nifty top seller logo I get.  That's definitely it.

Truthfully I understand what the goals are, and why.  They are misplaced however.  We all do better as the values of the items rise with the economy.  In my opinion, this change kills that possibility which I believe was a sure thing.  We can't make more on better quality goods and services if eBay is going to just take that right off the top.  EBay, if you're listening, invest in us.  Improve listing efficiency to help us increase volume.  Help us by making shipping supplies available at or near cost so we can spread OUR brand (eBay) in a unified look.  youve done a lot already - I think feedback is best left as is.  Customers first and sellers will  see (have seen) that we can't mess around, be slow or oversell and under deliver.  You have integrated the sellers dashboard to help us monitor these metrics and I applaud that.  Invest in us if that's truly the goal.  Ind[stead you are taking more of our money and investing it FOR us, not IN us.  Invest the money we already make you.  Please don't spin this as your investment. It is our money you seek to spend.

Still, how can you not see that you have replaced incentive to work hard for what we believed was our brand WITH you, with justification to ignore this harder to attain and still inferior reward?  I for one will keep selling and pushing, but I can make more money sourcing in an hour and shipping when it's convenient, than I can make busting it to MAYBE meet the new goals so I can get a few bucks at the end of the month.  Inventory quality will suffer and I guarantee you shipping times will slow.  Customer satisfaction will necessarily decline with these outcomes and the 10% you save for yourself will be worth less tomorrow than the value we bring under the current model.  Keep the whole 20% discount and I'll stop sweating the performance numbers.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@autographs*for*sale wrote:

I see a silver lining. I can change my return policy back to 7 days and go on vacation and not remove my listings, and all I am losing is a 10% discount. It is no longer worth it to jump through eBay's hoops to earn a discount that just got chopped in half.

what ebay could have done (at least) is increase the monthly free listing allotment for store owners.

it wouldn't have been so bad...

more free ebay shipping supplies?

i don't even use them.

i believe i am allowed to some free ones.

but have never ordered any...

letoulousain
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Before you go off the edge of that cliff, make sure you are doing what is really best for you and your little business and not just reacting because you are bad.

There is still great value in being TRS.  I understand about not trying to keep TRS Plus, but TRS status is still valuable.  If for no other reason but for the shipping rate discounts.  Of course if you don't ship through Ebay or PP, then that doesn't matter.  But for those that do, don't forget about this benefit as it can save you quite a bit of money.

You won't be able to go to a 7 day return policy, they changed that last year.  That option isn't available anymore.  But you can move to a 14 day return policy.  That is what I'll be doing on or before May 1st.  And I will be changing my handling time to 2 or 3 days.  This way I still stay as qualifying for TRS status and I keep the benefits that are still important to me.  Just something to consider.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The 30 day return policy never sat well with me in the first place. 14 days is much more reasonable for my products.

I haven't shipped through eBay in years -- there are third party solutions that are better if you have enough volume.

The 10% discount is about $1 in fees for every $100 in sales. Not worth worrying about. As for promoted listings, I admit I haven't tried them but I don't expect much.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@lemarcheaupuces wrote:

what ebay could have done (at least) is increase the monthly free listing allotment for store owners.

it wouldn't have been so bad...

more free ebay shipping supplies?

i don't even use them.

i believe i am allowed to some free ones.

but have never ordered any...

You should at least order up to your allotment every 3 months - you can always resell them if you don't want them.

Lowering a Top Rated Seller incentive discount is supposed to help make it a better experience for the buyer??? Who is the idiot they are directing that bull$%!# to? I agree with the others. I am tired of busting my ass trying to comply with the standards to get the 20%....10% forget it!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I agree I will not be worrying about standing in line to make sure it gets scanned for a 10% discount.   TRS+ was a nice benfit for me but I will not go crazy trying to make 95%.  Every now and again there is a customer who wants me to hold a package and not ship right away I agree to make the CUSTOMER happy and the 90% covered that.  It is too crazy to try and explain that ebay will ding me if I dont mail it right away no exceptions no

give the customer what they want.

I always mail the packages the next day anyway, and my customers are very happy, leave me glowing feedback  and are repeat buyers which is what ebay should want.   Since I sell vintage books I use media rate so there is no advantage in any shipping discounts.  

This new policy drives me to relax and not worry about TRS+ its impossible to meet , ebay is not incenting me to work harder for them. 

Ebay does not care about keeping sellers motivated just their bottom line.  I understand and need to accept that just as I had to accept ebay charging FVF on shipping.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone,

This topic is being discussed here: TRS discount going from 20% to 10% on May 1st

Thanks

Message 11 of 11
latest reply