cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to jewelry categories. Silver plated or gold plated metals are now considered "fine"?

The sellers of fakes will be thrilled.  

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Update to jewelry categories. Silver plated or gold plated metals are now considered "fine"?

I know right..

It's ridiculous..

Genuine metal/fake stone = fine

Genuine stone/fake metal = fine

Fake stone/fake metal = fashion/costume?  

In what universe? Oh right eBayverse. confused head scratcher.gif

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

eBay is updating the jewelry policy to closely align with industry standards. Our policy is based on guidelines issued by the US Federal Trade Commission. Please familiarize yourself with the FTC guidelines for the Jewelry, Precious Metals, and Pewter Industries and make sure your listing follows them and this policy.

Katrina

@pikabo-icu wrote:

I know right..

It's ridiculous..

Message 3 of 60
latest reply

In what universe? Oh right eBayverse

Trying to think of a rationale for this change. Perhaps purveyors of the real thing have exited the building and the category needed a boost in numbers from our "esteemed" sellers of plated silver and gold from the Pacific rim.  Buyers will likely find one of the last remaining true 14K gold and diamond ring on page 199 of search.  No, wait they are fixing that (showing the buyer too many choices) as well.

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

Absolutely correct. I won't ever shop for fine jewelry on ebay with this change. A piece should be 100% "fine" in order to be in the fine jewelry section. But ebay says a piece should only be 1% "fine" in order to be listed as fine.

The fact they pictured a cheap fake stone in the update and said it belonged in the fine jewelry section because it had a plate silver band is hilarious.

The fact that an ebay employee is talking down in this thread saying this is the industry standard and we all need to get educated is just depressing.
Message 5 of 60
latest reply

Ebay now making way for their Chinese partners to sell more carp in the fine jewelry category.  Shameful!

Message 6 of 60
latest reply

That link is ridiculous ... it points at all ongoing FT discussions ... how about posting the link to the current  FTC regulations

PART 23—GUIDES FOR THE JEWELRY, PRECIOUS METALS, AND PEWTER INDUSTRIES

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=17e8494121f83bcea41d6611485dd4ea&ty=HTML&h=L&mc=tr...

§23.4   Misrepresentation as to gold content.

(1) Use of the word “Gold” or any abbreviation, without qualification, to describe all or part of an industry product, which is not composed throughout of fine (24 karat) gold.

(3) Use of the word “Gold” or any abbreviation to describe all or part of an industry product that is not composed throughout of gold or a gold alloy, but is surface-plated or coated with gold alloy, unless the word “Gold” or its abbreviation is adequately qualified to indicate that the product or part is only surface-plated.

there are rules about all plated and/or alloy contents.

It is disingeneous to say that you are reacting to industry standards ... you are actually encouraging the "smudging" of costume/fashion jewelry into Fine Jewelry, allowing more fakes to be sold.

You should be going the opposite direction ... Only solid gold/silver/platinum with real stones should be considered "fine"

If I choose the Catagory "fine Jewelry", I am NOT looking for silver plated anything, or zirconia, or man-made emeralds.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

and this should be listed where?   Genuine mother of pearl and 24K gold electroplated brass?   

Message 8 of 60
latest reply

If I choose the Catagory "fine Jewelry", I am NOT looking for silver plated anything, or zirconia, or man-made emeralds.

Don't you know by now that it matters little as to "what you are looking for?'  That is what ebay is going to show you now in the fine jewelry section. 

Message 9 of 60
latest reply

Who is going to educate the buyers as to what ebay defines as "fashion" and "fine" jewelry? 

The buyers will be confused.

I'm just going to get more jewelry returns.

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

WHY the uproar,ebay has been ALLOWING certain sellers to list CARP in fine jewelry for sometime...

This will just cut down on the number of REPORTS ebay gets about those sellers listing in the WRONG category,as ebay is NOW saying it is the RIGHT category!

"Insert SARCASM emoticon here"

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

This will just cut down on the number of REPORTS ebay gets about those sellers listing in the WRONG category,as ebay is NOW saying it is the RIGHT category!

I guess I am just thinking about all the work I am going to have to do to move my vintage/antique gold plated and rolled gold items from vintage costume to a "fine" category.../sarcasm

I don't want mine "reported". Would cause too much stress for ebay. 

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

@anpand0 wrote:

eBay is updating the jewelry policy to closely align with industry standards. Our policy is based on guidelines issued by the US Federal Trade Commission. Please familiarize yourself with the FTC guidelines for the Jewelry, Precious Metals, and Pewter Industries and make sure your listing follows them and this policy.

Katrina

@pikabo-icu wrote:

I know right..

It's ridiculous..

Ok, I've been all over the FTC Jewelry Guides and it's amendments and I don't see anything defining "FINE" jewelry..

Perhaps you could be so kind as to point out the section that defines "fine" & "fashion/costume" jewelry.

Thanks 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 13 of 60
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

That link is ridiculous ... it points at all ongoing FT discussions ... how about posting the link to the current  FTC regulations

PART 23—GUIDES FOR THE JEWELRY, PRECIOUS METALS, AND PEWTER INDUSTRIES

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=17e8494121f83bcea41d6611485dd4ea&ty=HTML&h=L&mc=tr...

§23.4   Misrepresentation as to gold content.

(1) Use of the word “Gold” or any abbreviation, without qualification, to describe all or part of an industry product, which is not composed throughout of fine (24 karat) gold.

(3) Use of the word “Gold” or any abbreviation to describe all or part of an industry product that is not composed throughout of gold or a gold alloy, but is surface-plated or coated with gold alloy, unless the word “Gold” or its abbreviation is adequately qualified to indicate that the product or part is only surface-plated.

there are rules about all plated and/or alloy contents.

It is disingeneous to say that you are reacting to industry standards ... you are actually encouraging the "smudging" of costume/fashion jewelry into Fine Jewelry, allowing more fakes to be sold.

You should be going the opposite direction ... Only solid gold/silver/platinum with real stones should be considered "fine"

Thank YOU!

I just spent- a wealth of time reading all that gobbly **bleep** and I saw nothing about the legal definition of FINE vs Fashion jewelry. 

~Pika~

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

and this should be listed where?   Genuine mother of pearl and 24K gold electroplated brass?   

That's my argument too

I don't agree with it! Not for 2 seconds.. That's eBay's new guide for "fine"... confused-8.gif

~Pika~

Message 15 of 60
latest reply