Frequently Asked Questions
- Must I register to use the Community?
- How do I log in?
- What should I do if I forget my password?
- How do I register?
- What are Discussion Boards?
- What is My Content?
- How do I create a thread, or post a reply?
- How do I include a link within my post?
- How do I include an image within my post?
- How do I reply with quote?
- How is content organized?
- How can I format the text of my post and replies?
- What is a profile?
- What is the profiles list?
- What is Ignore and how does it work?
- What are eBay Groups?
- How do I participate in a Group?
- What are Community Messages?
- How do I send a message?
- How do I know if I have any messages?
- What is the eBay Answer Center?
- How do I set my profile and view other member profiles?
- How do I search the Community?
- What does subscribe mean?
- What does 'Email a Friend' do?
- How do I format and check the text of my posts, replies and comments?
- What are Earned points and Awarded points?
- What are RSS feeds?
- How do I participate in the Answer Center
- How do I set my Preferences?
- What is a profile photo?
- How do I report board violations?
Must I register to use Community?
Whilst some areas can be accessed without registering, many features of this site are only available to those who are registered with a valid email address. To become a part of our community, click Register and complete the form.
How do I log in?
- Click Log in.
- Enter your registered username and password. (Remember: these are case-sensitive).
- Click the box next Automatically log me in, if you want to be logged in next time you visit. (Note: You must have cookies enabled to use this feature.)
- Click Login.
- Click password link located below the password input box. This should open another window; follow the instructions to retrieve information you've submitted upon registration.
To register, go to the registration page, and follow the step by step instructions. If you need further assistance, please visit eBay's Registration and Signing-in resource page.
What is My Content?
My Content is a drop down link located at bottom right nav bar. It is only visible when a member is logged in to the Community. This section organizes all of the user's Community activities from Subscriptions, Messages, Groups, and Preferences.
What are Discussion Boards?
Discussion Boards allow members to share ideas, opinions and information quickly and easily. Your community has standards of behavior and conduct, and you should familiarize yourself with them before posting any thread.
Information in Discussion Boards are organized using a folder structure:
- Discussion Boards: Each board will list the topics available for discussion.
- Topics: These show the various discussions taking place. It consists of one or more posts displayed either as a list or in a folder structure of posts and their replies.
- Posts: Individual contributions made by community members.
- Replies: Responses made to posts.
To start a new topic:
- Select your forum and click New Topic, and complete the details
- Insert the name of your topic in the subject line and type your comment or query in the message box.
- You can run a spell check, prior to posting by clicking on the ABC-check icon located directly above the message box.
- Click Preview to see how your post will appear when published, otherwise, click Post to submit your post for others to view, or Cancel to retract your drafted post.
- Click Reply which is a link found on each post, directly below the thread title.
- kIf you want to respond to a specific post, click the reply link on the specified post, and select the quotation icon to include the original poster's comment on to your response.
- ClickPreview to see how your post will appear when published, or click Post to submit your post for others to view, or Cancel to retract your drafted post.
How do I include a link within my post?
To include a link within a post:
- Type a message, and then highlight the text that you would like to link.
- Once text is selected, click on the link image icon located at the top row, second to the last image.
- A window will appear, follow the steps required, and click "Insert" button to ensure the link is set.
How do I include an image within my post?
There are two ways to include an image within a post:
- As an attachment - Click on the paperclip image icon at the top of the post form, and upload any image from your computer to the post form. Follow the instructions outlined on the pop-up window, and click the "Add" button to submit your request. The image will display in the form of an attachment to your post.
- Embedded hosted images - If the image you wish to share is hosted on another website, you can insert the image using the embed image tool (the tree icon just left of the paper clip) on the post form. Click the icon, and a window will appear with instructions. Images may not exceed 400 megapixels. Click on the "Insert" button to the left of the box, and this will include the image on the post.
How do I reply with quote?
To quote the post you are replying to, click the quotation mark image icon on the post form. Once selected, the post form will refresh, and display the content you've selected to quote at the top of the input field. Move the cursor to the end of the quoted text and type your message. Once submitted, the quoted content will be visible at the beginning of the reply.
How is content organized?
Content is structured as follows:
- Categories: A category is a collection of boards or other categories. Categories organize boards into a tree structure so that members can find discussions more easily. An example of a Category is "Community Help Boards."
- Boards: Boards are the areas where individual discussions take place as a listing of topics. An example of a discussion board is "About Me Pages."
- Topics: Topics (also known as "threads") are the discussions, consisting of one or more posts displayed as a list, or in a tree structure of posts and their replies.
- Posts: Posts are the individual discussion contributions made by community members.
- Replies: Replies are posts made in response to other posts.
Additionally, here is a legend of icons used on the Community:
A topic that has been Tacked to the top of the board
A topic that has been posted to by eBay Staff member
A topic that is New to you.
A topic that has been Updated since your last visit.
A Locked topic/post that is read only
Info icon, most often seen after you have selected to Subscribe to a content.
How can I format the text of my post and replies?
The new post form provides different options to style your post.
- To format text (bold, italics, underline, etc.), use the format buttons in the posting view. Type your message and highlight the word(s) you want to format and click the appropriate button. Small bits of code indicate the formatting, such as in this example: "This is [b]bold[/b] text, and this is [i]italicized[/i] text" text" will appear as "This is bold text, and this is italicized text" in your post.
- To insert Smiley faces (emoticons), first click the smile icon and then select from the options available.
- For content alignment of your post, you can select one of four options available : Justified, Right, Left, or Centered.
- Click on the ABC-check icon button to run a spelling check of your post.
- If you opt to enter a URL in the body of a post, select and highlight a word in which you want to make linkable, then click on the link icon. A new window will open with instructions to enter appropriate information such as your preference of how the page will be displayed, and a brief description of the link when others hover over the linkable word. Once all the information is entered, click on Insert and the link will show up on your post.
- To insert an image into a post, click on the paperclip icon on the post form, you can select from the options listed along with the alignment option in which the image will be displayed within your post.
What is a profile?
Profiles allow members to share information about themselves with their community. This can include photo albums, videos and posts in Discussion Boards. To access your profile, go to My Content and click Profile. If you entered your Skype screen name, your online status may also be displayed on your profile.
What is the profiles list?
The profiles list is a central place where members can find the public profiles of other members in the community. If you'd like your profile to be private, click Hide (next to 'List me in the directory').
How do I set my profile and view other member profiles?
To create or update your profile, click My Preferences. Your profile, privacy settings, signature line, display preferences, avatars and subscription settings are set from here. To edit settings, fill in your updated information and click Save.
To view the profiles of members who have posted in the community, click their member names wherever you see them as links. You can also use the search feature to locate their member names. You can elect to "ignore" a member's posts by clicking Ignore Member in the member's profile or in the member information area of any post the person has authored.
What is Ignore and how does it work?
If there is a user with posts you don't wish to see, you can ignore them. The "Ignore" link is located directly under the user's avatar in the thread page. Clicking the ignore link will take you to a list of people you are currently ignoring. Use the "go back" link or simply hit the back button on your browser to return to the discussion.
If you choose to ignore another member, you will still see them posting, but the actual text of their post will not show to you. The link, "end ignore" will appear under their avatar, giving you the option to remove the ignore block whenever you want.
What are eBay Groups?
eBay Groups allow you to connect with other eBay members who share common interests. You can join an existing group, or create your own. To help create a positive experience in the Groups community, please familiarize yourself with the standards of behavior and conduct prior to participating.
How do I participate in a Group?
Participating in the eBay Groups is quick and easy. Browse through the list of existing groups, or search by keyword to find a group to suite your interest. Use the “Join Group” button to participate in a pre-existing public group. If the group you've selected is private, the group leader must first approve your invitation request. Alternatively, if you meet the minimum criteria, you may also create your own group, and invite others to join. Each group you create will contain the following features:
- Announcements: Group Leaders may post group specific announcements.
- Document Files: Document Files: Group members can share document files.
- Events Calendar: Organize events by entering them in the Group calendar.
- Home: The Group's homepage or gallery, where the group leader or group moderator has featured content from within the group..
- Links: A list of referenced URLs shared among members in the group.
- Members: A list of Group Members.
- Photo Albums: Share photos with members in your group by uploading your images to albums.
- Polls: This is a quick and easy way to gauge member participation within your group. Group Leaders/Moderators can create a new Poll by clicking Add a Poll button, and follow the instructions on the input form. Members can select from the existing polls and vote or view the current poll results.
- Welcome: The Group's Landing or Cover page for viewing general information about a particular group, and initiate the action to join or request an invitation.
Community members can send and receive private emails between themselves. My Community Messages allow you to easily track it in various folders: Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Trash and any others you create. You can also keep an address book of your friends from the community.
How do I send a message?
- Go to My Community Messages and click Compose Message.
- Type the member's nickname in the 'To' box, enter your subject, type your message in the large text box and click Send. Or, go to the member's profile and click Send Message to Member, which takes you to the Compose Message page with the member's nickname already in the 'To' field. Fill out the rest as noted earlier in this paragraph.
How do I know if I have any messages?
When you have a new message, a small envelope with a starburst icon appears next to Community Messages. If you have no new messages, you won't see this icon.
How do I search the community?
Searching for content across the Community is easier than ever because the Search box is now available at the top right corner of every page in our Community. To run a search query…
- Type the term or a combination thereof into the search box.
- Select an area in which you want your search to focus. For example, throughout the Community, or in a particular component such as the Discussion Boards, or within a particular forum. Once this is determined, click the GO button.
What does 'subscribe' mean?
A subscription will notify you via email when content that interests you has been updated. Similarly, you can subscribe to any content that has been added by a specific member.
To add an item to your subscriptions list, click Subscribe at the top of the page. Click Unsubscribe to end the subscription (and cancel the email notifications you have set). After 30 days, inactive subscriptions automatically expire (unless you elect to cancel the expiration in your subscriptions list in your Preferences).
To manage your current list of subscriptions, click My Subscriptions under the My Content section on the left navigation bar.
What does 'Email to Friend' do?
This feature allows you to send a live link to a friend. Click Email to Friend and enter the information requested. Please note, that content within a private area will not be accessible unless the recipient also has permission access to that private area.
How do I format and check the text of my posts, replies and comments?
To format text (bold, italics, underline, etc.), you can use the format buttons in the posting view. Type your message, highlight the word(s) you want formatted and click the appropriate button. You will see code indicating the formatting, eg. "This is [b]bold[/b] text, and this is [i]italicized[/i] text" text" will appear as "This is bold text, and this is italicized text" in your post. To insert a smiley face, first click the smiley button and then the expression you want to use. Click Spell Check to check your text for spelling errors.
What are RSS feeds?
Click the RSS link on any page to copy the code required to update new posts to your RSS reader software.
What is the eBay Answer Center?
You can get quick help from other eBay members by using the eBay Answer Centre. Designed for fast questions and answers rather than discussion, the Answer Centre is a member-to-member forum where eBay members can ask questions, give or receive answers and share information about eBay.
There are a lot of different topic areas within the Answer Centre, so choose the one that best fits the question you have.
You can also share your expertise and experience by creating Tips that may be useful to other buyers and sellers. To ask a question, you must log-in and select the ‘Ask a New Question’ button. When your question has been answered, select the ‘Answer Resolves Question’ button next to the helpful reply.
Anyone can browse the eBay Answer Centre to read questions and answers; however, to post a new question or reply to an existing one you must be a registered eBay member. Before posting, please read the eBay Board Usage Policy.
What are Earned points and Awarded points??
The point rating is relevant to your participation in the Answer Centre. Every post receives a set number of points. The author has discretion to award part of or to all of those assigned points to other members whose responses were helpful in answering the author's question.
How do I participate in the Answer Center
- How do I ask a new question? To ask a new question, you first must be logged in to submit questions. Click on the "Ask a New Question" button and fill out the title and description of your question.
- How are questions organized? Questions are organized into different topics. Each topic represents a meaningful grouping of questions for a given subject. Questions are are also organized by its answered status. You can browse answered questions and unanswered questions. You can also sort the list of questions by their answers most useful ranking, most recently asked and oldest questions.
- How can I answer other questions? If you are able to answer a question you may do so by clicking the "Answer" link above any question. Please note that in order to o answer a question, you must have at least 10 feedbacks. If you meet this requirement, log-in and select the ‘Answer’ link beneath each question. Each thread is limited to 20 replies to keep responses focused and concise. Answers may be rated for usefulness by the member who asked the question, or other viewers who found the information helpful.
- What does the badge below my name signify? If contribution points are enabled, each user may earn new badges for when answering questions within the community. Each badge is award when you earn a set threshold of contribution points.
- What are contribution points? As you answer questions within the community you earn contribution points. If others find your answer useful, or if the author of the question determines your answer resolves the question you also earn bonus contribution points.
- How do I become a Top Member? The top member board lists who within the community has earned the most contribution points. To become a top member you need to provide relevant answers to unanswered questions.
Under the Preferences page are various settings that makes it easier for you to navigate the Community. Under the "Preference" link you will find options including the number of posts/topics to view per page, the time zone you wish to view posts in, and the sort order (posts display oldest to newest or newest to oldest). You can also add a signature that will show up on every post you make. A member can set personal their personal preferences by clicking on the Preference link located at the top right corner of a page, next to the Log In/Log Out link or under the My Content area located at the bottom of the left nave bar.
What is an profile photo?
A profile photo is a personalized graphic image to represent you. You can personalize your Community experience by uploading your own profile photo. Here's how to do so:
- Click on "Preferences" at the top right of the Forum window (but below the eBay header). It's next to "Log Out", "Print" and "Help". That will take you right to your preferences with the ability to upload your profile photo, signature, etc… OR
- Click on "Profiles" under the "My Content" heading on the left-hand menu bar.
- Click on "My Preferences"
How do I report board violations?
While participating in our Community and you see a post that violates the Community Usage Policy such as vulgarity, profanity, something illegal, obscene, pornographic, or if someone has posted personal information about another member, please click on the "Report" link found on every post of every Topic. Our Board Moderators will then review the post in question for violations and will take appropriate action.